Getting Married in the Bahamas
Getting married in the Bahama's is EXCITING!
Best reasons to get married in the Bahamas:
- Imagine the aqua blue waters of the islands will lure you to its shores for your Wedding!
- The islands in the Bahamas are close to home. A plus for groups or short getaways.
- There are so many different islands to choose from in the Bahamas.
- English is the language used in the Bahamas. Important for legal paperwork.
- There are so many different resorts to choose from. Adult Only, Family Friendly, Fun and the great Gambling atmosphere if you want it.
- Destination Weddings in the Bahamas is Stress Free, Affordable and.... some weddings are even... Free!
REQUIREMENTS FOR GETTING MARRIED IN THE BAHAMAS:
Application for License
- The couple must be in The Islands Of The Bahamas at the time of application for the marriage license.
- If you are having a symbolic wedding you need not apply for a license if you wish to renew your vows.
- Many countries now require that official documents, such as international marriage certificates, be certified by the issuing country. In The Bahamas, this means that an Apostille (a special seal) is applied by the relevant authority to certify that a document is a true copy of an original. The Apostille can be made available to you within 30 days of the request. Your Wedding Planner or Marriage Officer will assist you in this regard.
- Couples may apply a day after their arrival and can be married once they receive their approved license the day after application.
Proof of Identification and Residency
- Both parties must produce a valid passport, birth certificate and photo ID. The parties must also produce evidence of the date of their arrival in The Bahamas. The Bahamas Immigration Card or entry stamp in your passport will suffice.
- No blood test is necessary.
- Two witnesses, who are at least 18 years old, must sign your marriage license. If it's just the two of you, witnesses can be provided.
- The fee for a marriage license is $120 inclusive of one certified copy of a marriage certificate. Extra marriage certificates are available at $20 each. Apostilles are $10 each.
- If either party has been divorced, the original final decree or a certified copy must be produced. Where applicable, a translated, certified and notarized copy of the final decree must be produced.
- If either party is single and has never been married before, a declaration certifying this fact must be sworn before a notary public or other person authorized to administer oaths in the country of residence. This document must accompany the application for the marriage license. This declaration can also be obtained in The Bahamas from an attorney-at-law or notary public.